As part of the efforts of the Federal Government’s commitment to reform the Nigeria Police Force, the Police Inspectorate Department was created in 2009 to do the following:
Divisions under the department
Training and Capacity Building being one of the cardinal issues of the Nigeria Police Reform Agenda was designed to take care of the training and re-training of Officers and men of the Nigeria Police Force to make them more pro-active in the fight against crime and criminality, as well as enhance their knowledge in Police operations and respect for Human Rights. To this end the Police Inspectorate Department through the Training and Training Institutions Division successfully supervised the Pilot programme on Strategic Crime Prevention and Control in Seven Cities, as well as several Training programmes from 2010 to 2015. Some of the training programmes coordinated and supervised by the Department include but are not limited to, are:
- Management Course with content on Modern Management techniques and application of Data to Information Technology
- Internal Security Course
- Database Management course for personnel of the NPF.
- Basic Intelligence Course for Senior Officers, Inspectors and Rank & File.
- Counter Terrorism and Rapid Response Course.
- Commissioners Management Course
- Specialized courses on Basic Infantry Tactics
- Criminal Intelligence Surveillance Course for Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB) personnel
- Monitoring/Evaluation/ Project Management Course
- Computer Appreciation Course.
- Financial Management Course.
- Crime/Data Management Course.
- Divisional Management Course/Customer care
- Dog Handlers Course
- Curriculum Development and Design Course for Senior Police Officers (SPOs) Drawn from the Training Department of the NPF
- Specialized courses for ASPs, INSPRs/NCOs Marine
- General Detective Training for ASPs
- Senior Officers' Management Course
- General Procurement Practice Principles course
- Operational Course for ASPs at Police Academy, Wudil, Kano
- Traffic Management Course
- Bomb Scene Investigation Management Course
- VIP Protection Course
- Crowd Control and Management
- Police Constable Five years and above Refresher Course.
- Divisional Crime Management course.
- Train-the-Trainers course for Inspectors.
- DCP/ACP Operations
- Investigation Courses for DC’s and AC’s Criminal Investigation Department.
- Special Mission Force Course in Police Mobile Training School Ila-Orangun
- Command and Control Rapid Response/Combat Training Course
- Financial Intelligence and Fraud Investigation Course
- Professional Studies Course
- Child Justice & Administration Course.
- Disaster Management Course.
- Neighbourhood Watch Capacity Training
- Development of Community Policing Advocacy Campaign Activities
- Financial Intelligence and Fraud Management Techniques
- Safer Schools Outreach Under Community Policing
- Divisional Management Under Community Policing
- Divisional Partnership Under Community Policing
- Public Order Policing
- Effective Leadership in Public Protection-Intervention, Mobilization and Sensitization (Phase 1)
- Patrol Duties Operation Course.
- Effective Leadership in Public Protection-Intervention, Mobilization and Sensitization (Phase 2)
- Specialized Training in Combat Readiness, Weapon Handling, Marksmanship Discipline and Musketry Bare Practice for Inspectors and Rank & File
- Intelligence Led Surveillance Course
- Third and Fourth Floor, Phase I, Federal Secretariat, Abuja.