POLICE ACADEMY BILL SET TO BE HARMONIZED
In a bid to address contentious areas of the Police Academy (Establishment Bill e.t.c), 2018 for a more invigorated and professional policing in Nigeria, a committee saddled with this responsibility was inaugurated by the Minister of Police Affairs, Muhammad Maigari Dingyadi.
Speaking at the inauguration which was held in Abuja, 12th February, 2020, the Hon. Minister ably represented by the Permanent Secretary, Dr. Maurice Nnamdi Mbaeri, said the inauguration of the committee is as a result of the retreat organized by the Senate committee on Police affairs in collaboration with the Policy and Legal Advocacy Centre in Lagos where contentious issues of the Bill was analyzed.
Muhammad Maigari Dingyadi explained that the committee membership was carefully selected to reflect various stakeholders who were free to consult and engage others for all-inclusiveness. The terms of reference to the members of the committee are as follows;
- To carefully study the entire content of the Nigeria Police Academy (Establishment e.t.c) Bill 2018.
- Obtain, Collate and examine input from the various stakeholders regarding the Bill.
- Obtain views and inputs and compare and contrast situations and circumstances from similar security training institutions such as Nigerian Defense Academy (NDA), Police Staff College, Jos (PSC) Police Anti-Terrorism School, Tai, Rivers State e.t.c.
- Prepare and recommend a Harmonized Document out of the Nigeria Police Academy (Establishment e.t.c) Bill, 2018 for presentation to the Senate Committee on Police Affairs for further necessary action.
The Chairman, Senate Committee on Police Affairs, Senator Haliru Dauda Jika who was at the inauguration challenged the committee to work expeditiously bearing in mind national interest at all times. He informed the committee that as soon as they submit their report, a public hearing will be organized in respect of the Bill.
The Chairman and Commissioner, Police Service Commission, Barr. Tommy Mom, in his remark, expressed gratitude while pledging to deliver the report at the stipulatedtime.
The 10- man committee members who are expected to submit their report in 2 weeks’ time are as follows;
- Barr. Tommy Mom, Commissioner, PSC – Chairman
- Rep. Of Inspector General of Police – Member
- Rep. Of Commandant (POLAC) – Member
- Barr. Sani Abdulazeez – Member
- Rep. Of SA to Mr. President on NASS Matters – Member
- Ibrahim Nureni, Director (Legal) Ministry of Police Affairs – Member
- Yahaya A. Muhammed, D(PRS) Ministry of Police Affairs – Member
- Rep. Of CLEEN Foundation – Member
- AIG J. Egbunike (Police Budget & Accounts) – Member
- Zubairu Muhammed, Director(PSD), M PA – Member/Secretary
Head Press and Public Relations (MPA)